Tithing: The Great False Doctrineby Van Robison
Many churches teach that tithing 10%
of one's income to the church is a part of obedience
to God and a requirement in the New Testament, as well
as the Old Testament. They love to quote Malachi 3:8
"Will a man rob God? Yet you have robbed me, but you
say, wherein have we robbed you? In tithes and
offerings." The truth is that when anyone does an
in-depth study of the tithing issue, it will be found
that the concept of "tithing" is very misunderstood,
even from an Old Testament perspective. Many different
authors have presented in-depth studies on tithing,
covering all the issues in both the Old and New
Testaments. While preachers love to make Christians
think that "tithing" represents 10% of one's "income",
it is easy to prove that in fact, tithes in the Old
Testament involved several tithes, used for different
purposes and that tithing is not at all what
Christians have been led to believe.
Since there is more than one tithe spoken of in the Old Testament, for those who have never researched and studied this hot topic, it may come as a surprise to read this:
- Verse 22: "You shall truly TITHE all the increase of your SEED, THAT THE FIELD BRINGS FORTH year by year."
- Verse 23: "And YOU SHALL EAT before the Lord your God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, THE TITHE OF YOUR CORN, of YOUR WINE, and of YOUR OIL, and the FIRSTLINGS OF YOUR HERDS and of YOUR FLOCKS; that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always."
- Verse 24: "And if the way be too long for you, so that you are not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from you, which the Lord your God shall choose to set his name there, when the Lord your God has blessed you."
- Verse 25: "Then you shall turn it (note: "it" refers to the tithe of the corn, the wine, the oil, the firstlings of the herds and flocks) into money, and bind up the money in your hand, and shall go unto the place which the Lord your God shall choose.
- Verse 26: "And YOU shall bestow that money FOR WHATSOEVER YOUR SOUL LUSTETH (King James Version) after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever your soul desires: and you shall eat there before the Lord your God, and you shall rejoice, you and your household."
Jesus had this to say about tithes in Luke 11:42: "But woe unto you, Pharisees for YOU TITHE MINT and RUE and all manner of HERBS, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought you to have done, and not to leave the other undone." If tithes were paid on herbs, I suppose you would have to ask the question "Did everyone grow herbs?" What about carpenters, did they pay tithes on their lumber? What about iron workers, did they tithe on iron? What about tentmakers, did they pay tithes on their tents? Even in the Old Testament, tithes involved only certain items such as herbs and firstlings of the herds, but on many other things in life, there was no such thing as "tithes".
Another verse in the Old Testament that proves that "tithes" was something very different than what we have been led to believe by pastors and preachers of churches today, is Deuteronomy 26:12: "When you hast made an end of tithing all the tithes of your increase THE THIRD YEAR, WHICH IS THE YEAR OF TITHING, and HAVE GIVEN IT UNTO the Levite, THE STRANGER, THE FATHERLESS, and THE WIDOW, that they may eat within your gates, and be filled." Ever hear of giving "tithes" to strangers, the fatherless and the widows? Ever hear about the "third year, the year of tithing?" Probably not and that is because the preachers don't know the truth about tithing themselves.
A very good book that deals with the New Testament truth on tithing is: Tithing: Low-Realm, Obsolete & Defunct by Matthew E. Narramore (Copyright 2004) and can be read FREE on the Internet. It can also be purchased from the author at his website, or from Barnes & Noble, Amazon, Seed Sowers Christian Books Publishing, and from other book sources. Countless full length and in depth articles on the tithing issue inundate the Internet and can be easily located. Other authors have also published full length books on this important topic. However, if you happen to stumble across a "tithing" book by a prosperity gospel preacher, chances are you will not learn the truth about the false tithing doctrine.
Tithing and money are a constant source of spiritual abuse in the church world and basically for the reason that churchianity today insists on functioning as a business enterprise. Tithing is not only greatly misunderstood, it also causes great false fear in the lives of many.
Here is a quote I took off the Internet about the Mormon Church and their tithing policy: "Tithing is an important test of our personal righteousness." President Joseph F. Smith (1838-1918) said "By this principle it shall be known who is for the Kingdom of God and who is against it... By it shall be known whether we are faithful or unfaithful" (Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph F. Smith , 276." Here are some astonishing notes from ex-Mormons about "tithing". The Mormon Church is worth tens of billions of dollars as a result of tithing and from what I have read about the Mormon Church, they do not disclose how the money is spent.
Tithing is one of the great false teachings in the world of churchianity, and money is one of the false god's of the church world.
Note: Please be sure to also check out The Truth About Tithing for more about this issue.